Monday, December 15, 2014

"Sirena" and "Ituloy Mo Lang": Pro-LGBT or Anti-LGBT songs?

I was with two of my closest friends, chillin’ on a Saturday afternoon when Siakol’s “Ituloy Mo Lang” played on the radio. I heard the song several times, but I never really knew the lyrics, word-per-word. All I knew was that the song was for a friend of the composer who was apparently gay. It goes on about how he got his friend’s back since he was bullied a lot because of his gender. And so, thinking the song was “pro-gay”, I liked it. I tried to listen closely to the song while humming to its tune when suddenly, one of my friends interrupted.

“I don’t like that song. I despise it.”

I was shocked, of course, hearing that from my friend (who is gay, by the way), since I thought the song was for them (them, referring to the LGBT community). Seeing my blank reaction, obviously waiting for an explanation as to why he hated it, my friend continued.

(Non-verbatim):
“I don’t like it because people think that song it’s so ‘empowering’ for us gays. It’s not. It actually does the opposite. That song is kind of being used against us, if it does anything,” he said.

            I looked towards my other friend (who is also gay), and he nodded in agreement.

“Totoo yan. Pati yung kanta na ‘Sirena’ ni Gloc-9? Ginagamit ‘yang kantang yun pang-asar sa akin ng mga kaklase ko,” says my friend. “Pag dumadaan ako sa kalsada sa amin, yung mga batang makikita ako, bigla na lang kakantahin yun, na para bang pang-asar,” he added.

      Hitting a somewhat controversial topic, the discussion heated up and opinions were shared regarding these songs whose lyrics revolve around the issue of gender equality, particularly the acceptance of the LGBT community in society. The sharing of stories and opinions by my friends, as a result, was quite enlightening for me. Ever since I became an Iska, I have supported the LGBT community as much as many of us do, and it was a great shock to learn that sometimes, we feel that we’re so ‘gender-sensitive, but unconsciously, we’re not being sensitive enough. And so, I will be sharing in this blog the reasons why (in our personal opinion) these songs are not too gender-sensitive like how we thought they were.

·       These songs strengthen and add up to gender stereotypes and prejudices.
Cross-dressing, waist-swaying, doll-playing, loud, comedic, artistic people. These are only few of the many stereotypes and labels that have been placed upon the gay community. Unfortunately, by adding these labels into the lyrics, the songs that were made and produced to supposedly “empower” seem to have strengthened our society’s habit of stereotyping, as well as reinforcing a generalized perspective on the LGBT group. While we know that there is some truth in these labels, we want to avoid reinforcing these stereotypes because they tend to limit an individual on what he/she can be, thus defeating the goal of empowerment. Lady Gaga’s Born This Way is one of the songs that showed us that labels and stereotypes are not necessary to paint the picture for the people to know that our generation’s demand is a demand for gender equality, acceptance, and empowerment.

·       They become tools for discrimination and bullying.
While it would be pleasant to think that the motive of the bands and song writers in writing their lyrics are to express their support and sentiments of the seemingly lack of and clamor for acceptance by the LGBT community, we have to admit that sometimes, these songs are being used for ridicule instead. Yes, the song in its entirety is supposedly putting a positive image, however, the labels and the stereotypes are just so strong that the message of the song is being overlooked, and so mockery, prejudice and ridicule take its place instead. Let’s face it, we live in a hostile world, using everything that can be used to beat the uniqueness out of every extraordinary and special individual, forcing them to conform to what is “normal” and “right”.

So? What should we do now? Should we dismiss these songs as unethical or gender-insensitive? Should be stop listening to them? Well, that will be your personal decision. I think that these songs are not totally unethical, nor gender insensitive, but it depends on how we use them. If you feel that I’m overreacting and that these kinds of songs are totally harmless, I’m afraid I would have to disagree. We must be aware that stereotypes and labels, regardless of what form they are presented, are always harmful and never beneficial.

So, the next time you feel like singing out a line from Sirena to one of your gay friends or acquaintances, think first. Think very well. Sirena nga ba ang kausap mo, o tao ’ rin na katulad mo, nakakaramdam at nasasaktan?


2011-61230 (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment